27 June 2011

destination: panama

A few weekends ago, I took a quick trip to Panama. I figured it's so close that it would be a wasted opportunity if I didn't go at least once! After school got out on Friday, I took the school bus home, caught a cab there, and then took the public bus to Puerto Viejo to spend the night before catching the shuttle to Panama on Saturday morning. I got to the bus station just in time, but I had to sit on the floor for almost the entire 4 1/2-trip because there were no seats left!

On Saturday morning, I caught the shuttle, which took us to the bridge at the border of Costa Rica and Panama. After going through immigration, we walked across the bridge to get into Panama. It was a bit...rickety, to say the least.
Can you believe that tractor-trailers and buses drive across this bridge?!

After going through immigration and customs in Panama, we caught a taxi.
Nice rims!

And from there, we caught a water taxi to take us to the islands of Bocas del Toro.
These houses on stilts were so interesting to me

We made it!
Check out the amazingly clear water

I had heard that the snorkeling in wonderful in Bocas del Toro, so I took another water taxi, followed by a truck, to Red Frog Beach on the island of Boquete to see for myself. Unfortunately, I didn't really know where exactly to go, but it was fun, anyway!
Aerial view of Red Frog Beach (not my photo)

Relaxing on the sand (also not my photo)

When I entered the beach, I was greeted by boys holding these tiny frogs. I've been wanting to see poisonous frogs since I got to Costa Rica, so I finally had my chance!

Saturday night, my hostel roommate and I went out dancing on the main island, Isla Colon. We found Barco Hundido, a really cool bar that is built out over the water, above a sunken ship.
The ship is in that hole!

Sunday morning, I had to head back to Costa Rica.
Waiting for the water taxi

Mountains in the distance

Marina

Riding back to the mainland

More houses on stilts

It was such a fast trip, but it was such a fun and beautiful place to spend a weekend. I'll have to go back some day!



Images found here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment